Journal of a Mouse

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

FOOD for the Soul!

Yvonne tagged me!

"Name five foods, dishes or otherwise, that were a part of your childhood, and that you sometimes miss when nostalgia gets to you..."

1.
As a kid, whenever I recovered from some kind of stomach flu and was just starting to eat normally again, my mother used to make a thin broth with vegetables and these star shaped noodles in them (without the sausage). I LOVED star-shaped noodles! We didn´t have those too often, so it was really something special for me!


2.
But my favorite dish was "Hühnerfrikasse mit Reis". It´s chicken with rice made with a very tasty sauce. Unfortunately, I don´t have the right recipe here. I looked it up in the cookbook I mention below, but the way they do it is very different from how I know it. I don´t think I could translate it anyway. Well.

3.
Another favorite dish of mine, made with nearly the same sauce, is "Königsberger Klopse". It´s a dish with meat balls. As a child it always had to be something with meat in it for me! And although today, I don´t eat so much meat anymore, I could never become a vegetarian, I guess. I would be too tempted to eat meat again...

This is a detail of a picture from this great cookbook, where you can find the recipe! This is the German Original Version of the book.


4.
For breakfast it always had to be a cup of hot cocoa for me (made with milk), and toast with butter and Nutella on it! A chocolate-hazelnut spread. Yummy!!!

This is the little cup I drank from as a small child, whenever I was visiting my grandparents in Bremen. Isn´t it cute?


5.
Then there was no summer without the ice-cream man! An Italian selling ice-cream from his little van. You could always hear him driving through the neighborhood, his bell ringing, every afternoon. And when we were lucky my mother gave us the money to get us some ice-cream in a cone! My favorite was lemon sherbet.

I forgot to add this...

As I have to tag five other people, I am going to tag:

1. Tine , because I´m curious...

2. Hanna , because I want to learn about typical Swedish food.

3. Anette, because I´m also interested to see, what people eat in Norway.

4. Anke for some more German recipes.

5. Isay, because she probably nows some exotic (to me) dishes.

I copied this from Yvonne:

If you decide to play along (and I totally understand if you'd rather not), here's some directions to include after your trip down food-memory lane (feel free to skip this part): Remove the blog in the #1 slot from the following list and move the other blogs up one place; add your blog's name in the #5 spot; link to each of the other blogs for the desired cross-pollination effect.

1. French Word-A-Day

2. Cucina Testa Rossa

3. Creature Bug

4. Yvestown

5. Journal of a Mouse

3 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, hot cocoa for breakfast sound like a great beginning of the day - maybe I'll start making that a habit, good idea. I'll write down that you have tagged me, but I'm not sure when (or if) I get the time to play. I've already been tagget for another game, and have not had time to look at that yet. Great to hear you're going to visit Sweden. I live very close to Sweden actually, it's less than an hours drive from here.
wynlen

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Bea said...

It´s okay if you don´t get around to it! But it would be interesting to know ;-)) If you don´t live too far away from Sweden, maybe we can meet?

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger isay said...

the pictures are great and they make me feel like going to the kitchen and cook after this. i have a version of the chicken and rice and wow! meatballs. we've been trying to eat healthy for a year now and less meat as much as possible but i sometimes cook those that i miss a lot back home. now you have made me think of what will i share and if i will draw them also. anyway, i enjoyed this post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home