Journal of a Mouse

Sunday, October 30, 2005

More Tales from the Kitchen

The view of our little veranda (like I love to call this place ;-) ). This is where we usually have our breakfast and lunch. I must admit that we often eat dinner in the livingroom in front of the tv... bad habit. Well, our little veranda reminds me of the pictures from Carl Larsson (well, except for the ugly, badly proportioned windows - but I´m doing my best to ignore them and imagine high, white-framed french windows, hee, hee, or some looking like the ones on the picture Flowers on the Windowsill). He is one of my favorite painters. And ever since I listened to the books of Astrid Lindgren as a child and seen pictures by Carl Larsson, I dreamed of Sweden. I have never been there for real, but about a few thousand times in my dreams! And now we are planning to go next summer! A dream come true! So now you now, why I love this part of our apartment so much! It´s this and the fact that the sun shines in here all afternoon. I´m dreaming of a kitchen sofa or a bench on the right hand side of the veranda, so I can lie down there and relax in the sun.
The veranda has it´s own little history. We live on the fifth floor of an old building near the city center. Originally this building only had four stories. But after World War II there have not been enough undamaged apartments in the cities, so often there was another story added to the buildings. As families could not afford large apartments, there had to be made more room. In our case, an engineer and his family moved into our appartment. And he built in these "shelves" in the kitchen to separate the room in front of the windows. Once there has even been a door and we think there were windows where now are the shelves (because that´s how it still looks like in the appartment on the other side of our building). Now one of his little girl had her own room there!

4 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh your kitchen is soooo beautiful! I would give my whole house for your apartment, hahah! Those window shelves are fantastic!!

Sweden ist a magnificent corner of this planet!! I have even been to Astrid Lindgrens house where she grew up!! We went on a tour years ago with my family when I was a teenager and followed her footsteps and visited all kinds of locations in Smaland til we got up to Stockholm, too.

You will have such a great trip!!!! :-))

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful place Bea!

cOOl, hope I see you when you come here! :-)

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger isay said...

i can relate doing the same thing and eating in the living room in front of the television....

i just love those chairs! so comfortable to sit on and the window shelves are just right!

sweden-just beside stockholm(forgot the name now)i had a nice time and experience attending a boat baptism and was only a meter away from princess victoria in a beautiful stage in the middle of the sea!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Bea said...

Tine: I´d love to go to all of those places, too! And then I´m dreaming of lazy days in a small red house next to a lake...(without the mosquitos, of course)

Hanna: I would love to meet you! Maybe we can arrange for that? That would be fun!

Yvonne: I loved the Bullerby children and "Madita" so much, or "Madicken" as she is called in Swedish. I loved the movies about her, too. After watching that I wanted to live in her times, wearing a sailor dress all the time, or dresses with white aprons, and those lace-up boots...hee, hee.

Isay: That´s so cool, being at a boat baptism! And sitting close to Victoria whom I have always admired. And all of that in Sweden! That must have been a very festive experience!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home