Journal of a Mouse

Friday, August 19, 2005

Homesick


I took out my travel journal today, because I haven´t finished writing my entries yet... And now I´m sooo homesick for my dear little island in the North Sea! I did that watercolor sketch of a wild Kamtschatka rose two days before we left this little place, sitting in the dunes in the midday sun, sharing the rose´s sweet smell with a bumble bee, the salty winds playing with my hair... It´s the only one I did while staying there. I actually forgot about it, when I posted my sketch of the old house a few days ago! How could I!
I put a postcard with a picture of the old island church in the lower right corner (there is a welcome letter from the lady who owned our vacation home on the back) and wrote the text of a song on this page that my grandfather had taught me to sing when on that first vacation there, when I was only four years old. It´s an old Frisian song saying something like "where the waves of the North Sea wash upon the beach, where the yellow flowers bloom in the green country, where the seagulls are crying in the roaring storm, that is where I am at home, there I am at home..." It´s as if he knew how much this would mean to me one day. I miss him so. No, I´m not going to cry...

Me and my older brother with my grandpa, june, 1978.

6 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, Bea, I know so well how you feel because I, too am still homesick to the Sea and beach and the great dunes, too. I love the North Sea and miss it so much. I would take any sea for that matter with crashing waves and beige sand but a lake I'm afaid would not do it.

Funny how you feel the same about it. I love the North Sea island Foehr for that matter so much, too. My husband fell in love with it when he was there 3 years ago. I wonder which island your is...

That's why here in canada I would love to go east to travel to Nova Scotia or Newfoundland. I am longing for it although I've never been there. The heart always knows where it wants to be.

In our minds we can travel there, let's go together!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Yes, I will come right along!Oh, Foehr! I wanted to go there, too! My island is Baltrum. It´s really small and lies right between Norderney and Langeoog. Did you read the Anne of Green Gables Books? Or the Shipping News?

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Anne of Green Gables was my absolute favorite!!!! I loved it and always wanted to go to Prince Edward Island. My mom when my parents were here for a visit, she brought me my Anne books along. Not the first one, she had forgotten them at the Baltic Sea in the trailer, hahaha! So I will wait til she sends me the first one along and then i will read them again :-)

I've never been to Baltrum but I bet it is a magical place. A house by the sea is my dream.
The shipping news I watched the film but didn't quite get it. It was on the plane when we flew here 3 years ago. I might watch it again. My husband is originally from NFLD. Not good to go there, the highest umemployment rate in whole Canada. But all his relatives from his mom's side are all still there. One day I will go there and visit.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Bea said...

I think, they only translated the first three books of the Anne of Greengables series into German. I read the rest of them in English. Did you read those, too?
I didn´t see the movie they made of the "Shipping News". I liked the book, because the tone of voice changed along with the development the main character took. Newfoundland must be so beautiful! I have been to Goose Bay once... I think that is in Newfoundland. But it was only a quick stop with the military airplane we went back to Germany with...

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger roz said...

I'll cry for you then! Lovely, just lovely. This reminded me of my times with my grandad when I'd go to England with my mum to visit. Only for me it's following him around in his garden with a jar of mayonaisse as he would pull spring onions up for me to dip and eat.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Thank you, Roz! And what a sweet memory!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home