Journal of a Mouse

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Happy Seaside Memories

I cleaned up my studyroom/studio today and in a plastic box found these. I collected them at the beach of my favorite island in the North Sea. It´s a place where I spent the best vacation of my childhood! So many happy memories! I have always longed to visit that place again, but somehow I never made it. At the beginning of this year I have dreamed twice about this little island. Very intense dreams. And I had the strong feeling that the island was calling me. So I looked it up on the internet and when I saw the pictures, I knew I had to go! Even though I was very small when I had spent my vacation there, I had vivid memories of it. I even remembered my way around! So I convinced my sweetie of going there for a week. And that´s what we did at the end of may/beginning of june (the same time of year!). It has been no disappointment! I immediately felt at home! We spent our days in the dunes and at the beach. It was all very peaceful. No cars allowed on that island, hardly any bicycles - only horses and carriages! You have to pull your luggage in a small cart from the harbour to your vacation home! And everywhere wild roses! Their smell mixes with the salty air of the sea! I miss that place! This is me at a time when I was still called something like "Little Mouse", playing happily in the finest sand!
At the end of a very long day at the beach, my dear grandfather took this picture of me. I always feel loved when I look at this one.
And I was so blessed to spend my fourth birthday at my favorite place! Can you see the candy seashells I got? I remember, I also got a paper doll with lots of clothes and a room you could fold up. And a Holly Hobbie doll!

7 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger Bobi+Bobi said...

Hello hello ! Yours softies (we said "doudous" in french) are very good formidables !

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Merci beaucoup!:-)

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bea,

Aaaah, the North Sea, oh how I miss it! I spent my childhood days mainly at the Baltic Sea at a campsite directly at the Sea in a place called Brodau close to Neustadt in Holstein. Best days ever. Your photo totally reminds me of that. I've missed the beach and the Sea lately so much.Which island was it you went to?
Did you read the books 'Nesthaekchen'? ;-)
The photo of you looks loved indeed. Just beautiful!

Thank you so muich for your great comment on my blog! I hope you will indeed sleep well and have nice dreams. But even nightmares aren't really nightmares. They are messages from our heart that are just especially strong to make us 'wake up' in our waking life. They are that bad because we finally have to listen to what they say ;-)

Nice sparkly dreams for you!!
~t.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Thanks for your sweet comment! Your comments always warm my heart!
The island is called Baltrum (right between Norderney and Langeoog). The Baltic Sea is great, too! We´ve spent a few summers there, too. Mostly in Denmark. And yes! I did read "Nesthaekchen" and loved it. And do you know the tv series they made of it? I loved that so much, too. And "Madita", well all the books by Astrid Lindgren.
You´re probably right about the nightmares! May have to pay more attention to them!
Have a great evening! I´m going to sleep now!
Love, Bea

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger isay said...

beautiful pictures and nice memories... i am glad you were able to come back and fulfill your desire to go there again. what a lovely feeling.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bea,
You look so sweet.
I don't know the books name in english and it's impossible to translate... sorry ...something like the children that lives in Santas place.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Thank you, Camilla! But I guess it must have been a different book then, because I don´t remember a story like that. It´s really cute anyway!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home