Journal of a Mouse

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Magical Birds!

Click on image to see a larger version
It´s that wonderful time of the year again, when our neighbor, living in the appartment below ours, is setting up a bird house on his balcony to feed the birds. Twice a day, these green parrots have their little get-together in the old chestnut tree in front of our house. They are not native to Germany, but originally come from Africa, and one thinks it must be too cold for them here. But along the rhine it is a very mild climate and somehow a few of these must have escaped from zoos or private owners and now live in colonies in Mannheim, Heidelberg, Wiesbaden and Neckarhausen. They are my little friends and I love when they sit chirping away in front of my window, curiously taking a peek at me sitting at my desk. That´s when I feel like I live in a truly magical place - a little bit like living in the fabulous world of Amelie.

9 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, this is amaaaazing!!! It gave me goosebumps all over!!!! WOW!
Oh and Amelie, she is my favorite. I looked similar to her when I was little, (giggle) and vefore I got my glasses, of course. ;-)

You lucky duck for having these wonderful birds! And there are 5 of them in the tree, too! Just amazing! I would have thought it would be way too cold for them in winter, for sure. It gets so cold in germany with -10 or -14 degrees celsius and all. Brrr!

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet visitors! : ) xxx

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger roz said...

Oh wow! Aren't you blessed!

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

soul birds of your own huh? Way cool and truly amazing - I wish parrots could survive here.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger PJ said...

That is almost a surreal scene!! I really hope they ok in the cold! :}

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger isay said...

bea-how i wish i can see them in real life. this is one beautiful and amazing scene. you are so lucky.

i hope you are feeling much better. it's only now i was able to drop by again.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Sandra Monat said...

und manchmal verirrt sich auch einer der hübschen Sittiche nach Köln Vingst :-)Toller Blog!

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice you've got those birds to visit and chear you up a little!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Thanks to all of you for your sweet comments! I wish I could sit here with you by the window and watch the parakeets with you! I just found out that they are called rose-ringed parakeets in English...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home