Journal of a Mouse

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Studio Friday: Favorite Tool


Sorry for the bad picture... these are some of my favorite tools. I´ll start in the lower left corner and work myself clockwise around the picture. So, first of all there are my colored pencils (Polychromos from Faber-Castell) and some Pencils my grandfather used to draw with, although seemingly not too often (as far as I know, he preferred drawing with felt tipped pens). The Polychromos are so great! I love their relative softness, as it´s easier to blend colors than with normal colored pencils. In the top of the wooden box are my favorite Faber-Castell Pencils, a Faber-Castell drop-lead pencil for sketching (my favorite sketching tool!), Staedtler Pigment liners (because I can go over them with water colors), some Pitt Artist Pens that I don´t use often enough, also from Faber-Castell (no! I´m not getting paid by them!), and a Fountain Pen. At the top, there are my favorite inks from Winsor and Newton, some Schmincke masking fluid, a tin box with my putty erasor, my favorite palette and my Winsor and Newton field box. The latter I bought a few years back, when I was visiting my aunt´s family in London. I had never seen something like that box before, so I scratched up all my money to buy it! Below, are my Jaxell pastels. I would never have tried drawing with pastels, had it not been for my drawing teacher at the local evening academy. She is convinced that it is a good idea to start drawing with pastels, as you will get great results much faster than by drawing with pencils. And she always says that you need to experience success while learning to draw, because otherwise you´ll be discouraged and give up too soon. I think she´s quite right about this! Still, I don´t like to use the pastels when drawing at home, because of all the colorful dust it produces! In the middle you can see my paintbrushes. They are all by Da Vinci. I originally used the acrylic ones for painting with water colors, but now I only use them for my acrylic paintings. For water colors I now use mostly sable paint brushes, which I collected over the last few month, as I find they are quite expensive. But it´s worth buying a few, if you are really into painting with watercolors!

11 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lot of great tools. Makes me wanna go create something. I love your monsters from last week too. They're so cute and funny.

wynlen

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger janet @ the ordinary life of jannybean said...

I love the way your tools look all strewn out on the empty floor. Makes me think of wide open spaces and just creating. Inspiring!

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many neat favorite's you got there! I defenitely have to get some masking fluid....never tried it before, always wanted to. I used to use airbrush transparent foil in art school and still have some. But it's tedious because you have to cut the shapes out and then stick it over top of the area. Hilarious!

Nice shape you kneeded your eraser in ;-) Hey, it's the same one I have and found a few weeks ago with one eye stuck onto it, hahaha! Hilarious things those!
I also have Jaxell pastells still and never use them. As soon as I open the box the room fills with this waxy smell...ugh. But one can create fabulous art with them.

Fabulous Bea, now you will have to show us more monsters...we want to see more of your art!!! ;-)

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Bobi+Bobi said...

Hello hello ! Yours monsters are fabulos fabulis !

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there is nothing wrong with that picture, so no need to apologise for it. Your favourit tools are beautiful, makes me so wanna come over and let you show them to me and maybe try a few?

take care!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger isay said...

we both have lots of favorite tools. they are so neat to look at in the floor

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Anette: Yes! Go and create! I want to see more of your great illos! And thanks for the compliment on my monsters!

Janny: Glad, I can inspire you! I didn´t think about wide open spaces...but now I can see it, too! I probably didn´t notice, because the rest of the room is so messy right now ;-)

Tine: Thanks, Tine!
I´ve never heard of the airbrush foil... maybe that will come in handy someday!
I knew you would recognize my eraser immediately! So I thought about you, while shaping it into a star, you know! Maybe next time I´ll shape it into a monster, hee, hee! I have eyes like your eraser has, too! A whole lot of them!

Bobi: Thank you for your sweet comment! I love "fabulos fabulis"!Your blog is, too!

Hanna: I thought my picture is a little blurry, no? I had a little trouble with the light in my room...But I´m glad it doesn´t show as much as I thought! Yeah, and why not come over and create together! You´re always welcome! Take care, too!

Isay: Thank you! I liked the picture of your tools on that garden table, too!

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This makes my mouth water!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger bee'nme said...

What a wonderful array of fantastic tools! It's great to see what's important to you, what inspires you, and what you use for what. It's a grand and glorious pile of possiilities!!

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...the joy of all that color in one place! I swear one of my fave things about art is that I feel like a kid all over again, playing with paper and crayons.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Heather: You´re not supposed to eat them, hee, hee ;-) Glad you like them!

Becky: So nice that my stuff seems to be so inspiring! Thanks for your dear comment! :-)

Arika: Oh, I just need colors in my life, too! And I love that feeling about art, too! I think I still am a kid... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home